Jul 5, 2012

Forty Days of Renewal


We are going to have a baby!  

      “I will get to that tomorrow……” The reality is none of us know when this day will be our last day on this side of eternity. Maybe today will be mine or it could be yours. The events of the past two years have driven this point home to me more times than I would have ever wanted. Never the less it is important to remember that this life is finite and we should not waste the time we have been given.

Hannah holding a baby chick
     As I look back at my life at 35 years old I can say I have had an incredibly blessed life. Just a few days ago I learned that it is about to be doubly blessed as Heather and I are now expecting our second child in our growing family. We prayed for Hannah for 5 years before God gave her to us so we know what a blessing it is to have her in our life. Hannah has brought more joy to my life than I could have ever imagined and now He has seen fit to bless us again. God is truly good. Not only has He blessed our home He has blessed the ministry He gave us back in 2004. God has taken us into places I never dreamed I would go and allowed us to do things I had never thought possible. Our ministry now spans across 8 countries with 46 branches that are actively living out the faith each day where they are. The journey has been more amazing than I could ever put down into words.

My sister Lesley, Hannah & I
outside of our new church. 
    God has truly exceeded all of my own expectations for this life. Have I exceeded His expectations for me? This question has been on my mind a lot these past several days. God desires us to be His perfect image. When others look to us they are to see His perfect image reflecting back to them. If we are honest most of us would admit the reflection is not as clear as we would desire it to be. Since a teenager I have had one major desire for myself. I want to be, "a man after God's own heart” just like God said of King David for whose name I share. But unlike King David I wanted to have the resolve of Daniel who excelled in all aspects of life.

    No doubt King David had his struggles, as have I. I have not done the things he did but I too have had my times where I have not walked in the spirit and instead chose to yield to the flesh. At times I have acted out in anger, said too much, looked too long, longed for affirmation, blown my own horn, yielded to the pride of life, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eye, responded harshly when I should have spoken the truth in love, wasted time on things that were not important, spoke when I should have listened, sat when I should have took a walk, I am over weight, and I am out of shape..... In short as I look back at my life so far I am disappointed, not in what God has done, but in what I have done or in most cases not done. I want to be a better man. I want to be a better husband, father, son, friend, servant, and mentor. I do feel I have been, “a man after God’s own heat” in ministry but as I look back I see that I would like to be more like Daniel in my commitments to God, others, health, mind, and spirit.

    I do not know how much time I have left to do these things but I have decided that I am going to start today and I would like some help, if you are willing. Today I will begin a 40 day period of time to draw closer to: God, my wife, daughter, family, as well as improve my health, and reconnecting with those I love. I want to be a better man and I know just hoping it will happen is not good enough I need to be deliberate and see that I do follow through with these commitments. I would not mind your help. If you see in my life things that do not reflect Christ in my words or actions, please share them below. I want to be honest before God, myself, and you. I cannot do that if I am unwilling to consider the flaws in my character others see in me. I could also really use some people who love God and are in the habit of praying to add me to their daily prayer time.

    Maybe these words have struck a cord with your heart as well. if you would like to go on this 40 day journey of renewal with me I could use the company. send me an email, leave a comment below, or give me a call if you are willing to take 40 days and commit them as time for you to be a better man or women.

    I am going to limit my time on the computer to correspondence through email for prayers, and ministry related activity, tuning off the smartphone, stepping a way from watching TV, movies, surfing the internet ext. I will be devoting time to prayer and Bible study, exercise, changing my diet, reading, spending time with my family, building up others, taking time to reconnect with family and friends, among many other commitments I have set for the next 40 days and beyond. For all of you who will take the time to share, to pray, or both let me say now that I am grateful and I hope to hear from you soon.



God Bless,
David Ingram
New Day Christian Ministry
Isa. 43:18-21
www.newdayc,.org

No comments:

Post a Comment